If you are the parent of a struggling reader, received a school evaluation with the label of Specific Learning Disability, or you have received a diagnosis of Dyslexia through an independent evaluator — and you need assistance navigating the education system or you want to be part of the change needed for children with dyslexia – you have come to the right place!!
Decoding Dyslexia PA is a grassroots movement driven by PA families concerned with the limited access to educational interventions for dyslexia within our public schools. We aim to raise dyslexia awareness, empower families to support their children and inform policymakers on best practices to identify, remediate and support students with dyslexia in PA public schools.
Our group is made up of parents of children who are dyslexic. We are not experts, nor are we a business or educational organization. We offer parents the benefit of our collective experiences. We encourage parents to meet with their local policymakers to tell the story of their child, and ask for policies and legislation to identify and support dyslexic children in our public schools.
We are advocating for PA to implement:
• A universal definition and understanding of “dyslexia” in the state education code
• Mandatory teacher training on dyslexia, its warning signs and appropriate intervention strategies
• Mandatory early screening tests for dyslexia
• Mandatory dyslexia remediation programs, which can be accessed by both general and special education populations
• Access to appropriate “assistive technologies” in the public school setting for students with dyslexia